Privacy and Compliance Officer
Posted 09/15/22 • Santa Barbara, CA or Remote • Full-Time
Who We Are
ParentSquare is a Santa Barbara-based growing company that’s changing the way schools and parents communicate every day. Sounds simple? We strive to keep it that way! Over 10,000 schools and 12 million users across the U.S. utilize our platform to stay informed and involved from the way they prefer to be notified – email, text, voice, web, app, social – to the ways they can interact with schools – forms, sign ups, payments, RSVPs, language translations, chat and more. We just celebrated our 10th anniversary and are excited to continue advancing K-12 communications equity with our intuitive and easy-to-use platform so districts and schools can connect with all parents and guardians.
Who We’re Looking for
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated individual to oversee privacy and compliance at ParentSquare. Your capabilities include risk management, attention to details, successful communication with both upper management and company employees, and high moral standards. Most importantly, you share in our mission to improve the lives of students and families through communication.
This role will include:
- Maintain customer-facing policies around privacy, data security and other policies related to the organization’s business activities.
- Review, redline and respond to school data privacy agreements and customer privacy questionnaires.
- Respond to customer questions typically related to the confidentiality, access, use, and disclosure of personally identifiable information.
- Develop internal company policies, ensure compliance, and train employees around these policies.
- Maintain a list of third party providers that customer data is shared with and ensure they adhere to data privacy, sharing and disclosure policies.
- Investigate and maintain documentation of privacy incidents and ensure timely reporting to schools as required by law.
- Perform compliance audits to determine whether established protocols are being followed and where they can be improved.
- Remain up to date on federal and state laws (FERPA, COPPA, CCPA etc.) related to schools and update policies accordingly.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Law, Business Administration, or Finance or relevant experience.
- At least 2 years of direct experience providing substantive Privacy or Compliance ideally to Schools or SaaS companies
- Extremely practical and business-oriented approach to legal issues
- Comfort working across all departments and job levels
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Must exhibit intellectual curiosity and attend aggressively to details
The perks of working for us are great!
You’ll get your foot in the door as our company continues to grow. We’re big believers in work-life balance and provide
- Employer-paid health insurance(including dependent coverage)
- Employer-match 401K retirement savings program
- Stock options
- Health + wellness reimbursements
- Generous PTO
- 14 paid holidays, including your birthday!
As a fully remote team, we’ll make sure you have all the tools and equipment you need to make your home office a place where you can thrive.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.