Good Afternoon! The Breckenridge ISD Board of Trustees held its regular meeting last night. Among other things, the Board voted to make some changes to our COVID-19 Response Plan. Beginning immediately, BISD will no longer require masks for students or staff. Masks and face coverings will be optional, and any staff member or student wishing to continue wearing one can certainly do so. The Board also voted to allow parents to make the decision whether or not to quarantine their student(s) due to “close contact.” The district will continue to honor any quarantining mandated by medical professionals or local health authorities. The district will continue the enhanced cleaning and sanitizing measures that have been implemented this year. Along with maintaining these health and safety protocols, the district also has plans to offer free COVID tests for all students and staff (more information on the COVID testing program will be provided at a later date). Additionally, the Board gave the superintendent the authority to reinstate these measures if our COVID numbers within our school community rise above a predetermined threshold. Thanks to the support of Stephens Memorial Hospital and Breckenridge Medical Center, our staff has had the opportunity to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. We are confident that we have the safety precautions and cleaning protocols in place to make our classrooms a safe place for student learning. If you have any questions, please reach out to your child’s campus administrator. Thank you for your cooperation and continued support in this ever-changing world. Go Bucks!
By now, I am sure most of you have heard Governor Abbott’s announcement regarding the mask mandate and other COVID-19 restrictions being lifted effective March 10. We are awaiting additional guidance from TEA to determine the District’s course of action. We will release more information as soon as we have it. Thank you.
Overnight, BISD experienced a burst water pipe at East Elementary. District officials were notified by Breckenridge PD that water was coming out of the building early this morning. The water has been shut off to all district facilities and clean-up efforts and repairs are underway. The district plans to assess all facilities and make needed repairs in the coming days. As a result, we have decided to go ahead and notify our families that we will not have school on Friday. Classes will resume Monday morning at regular times. We believe that all facilities will be ready for students to return at that time. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
We continue to monitor the situation with the weather, the roads, and public utilities. We are in constant contact with city, county, and state officials. For the most part, the main roads in Breckenridge are passable now. However, many side streets, county roads, and campus parking lots are packed with thick snow and ice, making them very hazardous. In addition, many of our families continue to be without power and/or water. ERCOT has stated that possible rolling blackouts could continue into the coming days. The National Weather Service has also issued a “Winter Storm Warning” for Stephens County beginning this evening through Thursday morning. So, at this time, we have decided to cancel school tomorrow and Thursday. Since temperatures may not get above freezing until after lunch on Friday, opening schools Friday may be unlikely as well. We will make that decision Thursday evening. Please continue to stay safe and warm! We can’t wait to see you all soon!
FYI... Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 5:00PM is the deadline for write-in candidates to file Declarations of Write-In Candidacy for a place on the BISD Board of Trustees Election ballot. A candidate application may be filed in person, by mail, by fax, or by email. The BISD Administration Office will be open from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.