Last Updated: August 19, 2022
Commitment to Your Privacy
ParentSquare understands that privacy is extremely important to users of our services and website, the district, school or organization that registers for our services (“School”), and the students, their parents and other users whose information we may access on behalf of a School.
Please see the following information about the information we collect while providing services, how we use it and other details.
Data Covered and Written Agreements
Information We Collect
We collect two types of information: personal information your School knowingly chooses to disclose that is collected on an individual basis, and website-use information collected on an aggregate basis as you and others browse our website.
Basic Information Your School Provides to Us
- Admin Role: We use name, ID, title, phone number, email address, address, group memberships, school memberships and district memberships from school-provided data.
- Staff Role: We use name, ID, title, phone number, email address, address, group memberships, school memberships and district memberships from school-provided data.
- Teacher Role: We use name, ID, title, phone number, email address, address, classes, section, group memberships, school memberships and district memberships from school-provided data.
- Student Role: We use name, ID, address, gender, grade level, enrolled courses, other enrolled groups, extracurricular activities and family relationships from school-provided data. For schools using StudentSquare, this may include email addresses and phone numbers.
- Parent/Guardian/Contact Role: We use name, relationship to student, phone number, email address, address, communication language, group memberships, school memberships and district memberships from school-provided data. from school-provided data.
- Emergency-Only Contact Role (if applicable): We use name, phone number, email address and any emergency contact information from school-provided data.
- Guest/External Member Role: If provided, we use name, phone number, email address, address, group memberships, school memberships and district memberships from school-provided data.
Additional Contact Information Your School May Provide to Us About Students
The School may also choose to provide additional student information such as their English language learning status, enrollment in free and reduced lunch programs, attendance records, lunch balances, bus routes, grades and assignments if the School is using the corresponding ParentSquare feature.
The School may choose to use StudentSquare to provide students with ParentSquare logins to communicate with students within ParentSquare. In such cases, we collect the login credentials for students provided to us by the School, which may include a student’s email address and cell phone number. In this way, ParentSquare collects and shares personal information and education records from PK-12 students, including children under 13 years of age.
Pursuant to Children’s Online Privacy and Protection Act (“COPPA”), ParentSquare relies on the School’s consent on behalf of parents in order to allow those under 13 years of age to use our services. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 other than pursuant to the above, or if we learn that a child under 13 has provided us personal information beyond what we request from them, we will delete that information as quickly as possible after we have been notified internally or by impacted customers.
If you have questions about modifying or deleting personal information of a student, please contact your School directly.
Information You Provide to Us
In addition to the information about you provided by the School, you may choose to provide additional information about yourself in your user profile, such as your profession, talent, interests and abilities. All information you provide voluntarily may be made accessible to users in your School. This information is not shared with users outside of your School.
Information We Collect when You Interact With ParentSquare
In addition to the personal information you and your School provide to us, we also collect usage information as you interact with ParentSquare. Collecting this information allows us for more accurate reporting and helps us to improve our services.
The following describes how we use this information:
a. Site Activity Information. We monitor some of the actions you perform on ParentSquare. For example, if you make a comment on a post, we both log the fact that you added a comment as well as store the actual comment itself.
b. Notification Activity Information. We monitor email delivery, text delivery, app downloads, and engagement through clicks in order to understand your interaction with our services and improve your experience with ParentSquare. We may include clear gifs in the HTML-based emails we send our Schools in order to track which emails are being opened and which links are being clicked on by recipients.
c. Access Device and Browser Information. When you access ParentSquare from a computer, mobile phone, or other device, we collect information from that device such as your browser type, operating system, unique device identifier, IP address, the date and time of visits, and the time spent at our website.
Information We Do Not Collect when You Interact With ParentSquare
ParentSquare only collects data related to providing services for Schools. We do not explicitly collect criminal records, medical records, social security numbers, biometric information, disabilities, political affiliations, religious affiliations, discipline records or behavioral assessments.
How We Use Information
To Manage the Service
To Contact You
We may contact you with service-related announcements from time to time. This includes contacting you for any school related activities. We may include content you see on ParentSquare in the emails we send to you. We may also contact you in order to notify you about important changes to our services.
To Provide Relevant Information To Your School
How We Share Information
What Can Other Users in ParentSquare See
Sharing and Disclosure of Information
ParentSquare uses the data received from the School for the sole purpose of delivering products and services to the School. We do not rent, trade, or sell or otherwise distribute your information to any third parties and will only disclose information when allowed by FERPA and required a) by applicable laws or government orders or b) to maintain and operate our service or c) when authorized by the School.
ParentSquare may acquire information (including Personally Identifiable Information or “PII”) from the school SIS/SMS or other school systems such as payroll systems, nutrition systems, fee systems, etc through a School-requested integration.
- For secure credit card transaction processing for supporting payments in ParentSquare.
- To provide customer support communication to our users.
- To analyze use of our website and app.
- For our blog and to facilitate social sharing on our blog.
- To send emails, texts and phone calls.
- For hosting our services and databases.
- Providing additional services to the School such as mailing services, background checks for volunteers, lesson plans, newsletters and other optional features.
- To log into our service using Google, Clever, SIS or a district-managed SSO integration.
A list of the third-party services we currently use, the data that is shared, as well as links to their privacy policies, can be found here.
ParentSquare complies with, or works with the School to jointly ensure compliance with, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) and all other applicable confidentiality and privacy laws and rules, and requires its employees, consultants, and subcontractors to similarly comply.
- What happened: A general description of the breach incident and why the breach happened. The notification shall also include the date of the breach and the notice.
- What was done to resolve the issue: Details regarding the resolution and any additional actions taken to prevent a similar breach in the future.
- What user data was affected: The estimated number of staff and student families affected by the breach, if any. A list of the types of personal information that were or are reasonably believed to have been the subject of a breach.
- What are the next steps for you: If there are actions required on the part of the School related to the breach, we will provide detailed instructions and assist in remediation.
Information Hosted in the United States
For more information on the ParentSquare data retention and destruction policy, please contact email@example.com.
Choices About Your Information
Managing Your Account
- Right of access to personal data
- Right to rectification of personal data held where it is incorrect or incomplete
- Right of erasure of personal data (“right to be forgotten”) if certain grounds are met
- Right to restrict/suspend processing of personal data
- Right to complain to a supervisory authority
- Right to object to processing (if processing is based on legitimate interests)
- Right to object to processing of personal data for direct marketing purposes
- Right to receive your personal data in a standard electronic format (data portability)
You may withdraw this consent or exercise any of the foregoing rights applicable to you by contacting the Privacy Officer at the address below or notifying us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ParentSquare complies with, or works with the School to jointly ensure compliance with, all applicable state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to data privacy and security, including FERPA, COPPA, PPRA, SOPIPA, AB 1584 and all other California privacy statutes. If you are a California resident, please see here for more information.
If you have any questions or would like further clarification about ParentSquare or this Privacy Notice, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
Last Updated: August 19, 2022
- Addition of “Data Covered and Written Agreements” paragraph
- Change title from “No Disclosure to Third Parties” to “Sharing and Disclosure of Information”
March 4, 2022
- Under “Access Device and Browser Information” we have updated the device and browser information we collect as part of a security enhancement regarding session management
- Updated our list of third-party service providers referenced in the section “How do we work with Third Party Service Providers?”
June 15, 2021
- External review for compliance with applicable laws & guidelines
- Improved transparency regarding how we use your personal information and with which service providers we share this information
- Added details about our data breach policy
- Addition of California privacy information
You can also direct inquiries via phone at 888-496-3168 or in writing to:
ParentSquare Privacy Officer
6144 Calle Real, #200A, Goleta, CA 93117.